Four members of JCIE’s Friends of the Global Fund, Japan (FGFJ) Diet Task Force, which is composed of members of all major political parties and is co-chaired by Ichiro Aisawa and Motohisa Furukawa, visited Indonesia and Timor-Leste from September 5–11. The trip provided an opportunity for the participants to see first-hand how Japan’s support for the Global Fund is making an impact in the field and to grasp the challenges that government officials and communities continue to face. They were also able to explore new opportunities for Japan’s bilateral assistance to coordinate with the work of the Global Fund. In both countries, the delegation received words of gratitude for Japan’s support and the expectation for Japan to strengthen its leadership as the sole major Global Fund donor in Asia.
List of participants
Members of the Diet Task Force
- Seiji Kihara, Member of the House of Representatives (Liberal Democratic Party)*
- Hitoshi Kikawada, Member of the House of Representatives (Liberal Democratic Party)
- Mayuko Toyota, Member of the House of Representatives (Liberal Democratic Party)
- Susumu Hamamura, Member of the House of Representatives (New Komeito)
The Global Fund
- Osamu Kunii, Director of Strategic Investments and Impact Division
- Makiko Takayama, Specialist, Donor Government Department, External Relations Division
Friends of the Global Fund, Japan (FGFJ)/Japan Center for International Exchange (JCIE)
- Satoko Itoh, Managing Director and Chief Program Officer, Japan Center for International Exchange (JCIE); Assistant Director, FGFJ
- Xiao Ying Leong, Program Officer, FGFJ/JCIE
- Mari Hasebe, Interpreter
For more information on this event, please visit the FGFJ Website.