Position Title: Intern (Part-Time)
Position Location: New York, NY
The Japan Center for International Exchange (JCIE/USA) is looking for an enthusiastic university student or a recent graduate to join our team based in New York as a part time intern to support our programs and operations for our fall internship.
JCIE/USA is a nonpartisan, US-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a mission to strengthen US-Japancollaboration on common challenges and leadership on regional and global issues. Our programs aim for policy impact through leadership exchanges and intellectual dialogues among policymakers and scholars and through engagement of civil society and the international community. In addition to US-Japan Political Exchanges, Congressional Staff Exchanges, US-Japan Women Leaders Dialogues, and philanthropic initiatives, our current programs address topics including global health, healthy aging, and strengthening democratic governance in Asia. We work in close partnership with JCIE/Japan, one of Japan’s top international affairs institutes.
Our fall internship starts as early as mid-August and lasts for 12–16 weeks, with an option for an extension if desired by the intern and needed by the employer. JCIE/USA’s internship is suited for those who are excited to learn more about Japan and US-Japan relations and help promote international cooperation on regional and global issues.
For information on how to apply download the announcement or read the description below:
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting our programs on key issues affecting the United States and Japan by assisting on logistical tasks and background research as requested.
- Taking notes or transcribing the discussions at program events and meetings with program partners.
- Providing support in daily office operations such as database management, mailings, and IT issues.
- Providing support in JCIE’s communications work, including our outreach through social media, website, and newsletters.
- Undergraduate student or recent graduate majoring in a relevant field (e.g., Japan/East Asia Studies, Int’l Relations)
- Interest in Japan and US-Japan relations
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Excellent interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivities, with demonstrated ability to work in a team
- Flexible to multitask and work on new projects as needed
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Google platforms
- Authorization to work in the US (JCIE/USA is unable to provide employer sponsorship for a visa)
- Japanese language skills and experience with social media and website management tools a plus
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Proficiency in written and oral Japanese
- Experience with IT management
- Experience in taking notes and transcribing meetings
- Experience in supporting program and event logistics
- Experience with mass email marketing systems (e.g., MailChimp)
- Experience using popular social media and website management tools (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, WordPress)
Compensation & Benefits:
- Paid hourly at $15.00/hour for approximately 20 hours/week with an option to work more hours if requested, but no more than 34 hours/week. Specific schedule and work hours will be discussed and determined at the start of the internship.
- Our normal working hours are Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. Employees including interns are expected to work remotely until the organization resumes in-office operations later in the year.
Start Date: An ideal candidate will start as early as mid-August or by early September at the latest.
How to Apply: To apply, please send your resume, one-page writing sample, and cover letter addressed to Mr. Stephen McHugh at email@example.com by August 16, 2021. Only applicants who are selected for interviews will be notified. Cover letter should explain your interest in JCIE/USA and indicate your available start date and work hours per week. Include your name and the title “Internship” in the subject line. All attachments should be labelled “First Name Last Name_Document Title” (e.g., Taro Yamamoto_Resume).
JCIE/USA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.